This article is the fifth in a series and is called President of the Academy of Competitive Intelligence answers our questions. We talk to Dr Ben Gilad, the President of The Academy of Competitive Intelligence. In this series, we ask people we respect within Competitive Intelligence eight pertinent questions. We love this Ben Gilad quote:
“In competitive intelligence, people who advocate for more data simply have no clue what real intelligence looks like. They had neither seen it nor were they ever asked to present it to senior executives”.
Ladies and gentleman, Ben Gilad.
1. In your view, what’s Competitive Intelligence?
Perspective on data/information identifying opportunities and threats to competing effectively.
2. In your view, what’s the true benefit of CI?
Provide context (the “why”) and options (the “so what”) to users. Reduce noise.
3. How would you advise a company with no experience in Competitive Intelligence to get started?
Call me, then send your candidate to the Academy of Competitive Intelligence.
4. What analytical tools do you recommend?
Porter’s fundamental industry structure/strategy theory
5. Competitive Intelligence is becoming too much about risk mitigation, copying the competitor and the last dataset. And not enough about growth, exploration and creation. It can stop people from being original, risky and creative enough. Do you agree?
6. Without giving away anything confidential, what’s the best result you have achieved with CI?
Building certification in CI used by recruiters worldwide
7. Artificial Intelligence and platforms will transform CI, and there will be no need for human input in the future. The longevity of the job of a Competitive Intelligence analyst is limited? Do you agree?
Only for those information practitioners who believe a platform does “analysis” and for stupid companies who agree
8. Finally, what’s the one piece of advice you would give a CI analyst?
Be an analyst, not a “researcher.”
About the Academy of Competitive Intelligence
Established in 1999, we are the oldest and largest educational institution solely dedicated to helping companies better control strategic risks and discover new market opportunities with competitive intelligence. ACI is the only Competitive/Market Intelligence training institution that is an accredited provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET) to offer CEUs.